FFA, NCGA, Syngenta, Zimfo Bytes
- The 2018 Iowa State Fair is around the corner and the Iowa Farm Bureau Federation has numerous activities with partners planned at Farm Bureau Park with prizes totaling over $100,000 to help celebrate its centennial. New this year is an interactive Farm Strong® mural, inspired by the #WhatLiftsYou Wing campaign craze that has swept the nation. The mural was created by Amy Putney, Iowa artist and Art Director at Sticks Object Art and Furniture. Visitors to Farm Bureau Park can show how they’re Farm Strong by posing in front of the brightly colored mural, sharing their photo through social media and tagging it #CenturyStrong.
- Swanson Russell has been selected to serve as the agency of record for the Nebraska State Fair. The agency will provide comprehensive marketing services for the State Fair account including traditional advertising, digital placements and social media strategy.
- Lygos, a biotechnology company based in Berkley, California, recently announced the closing of $15.5 million of Series B financing. Lygos was a winner of the first ever Consider Corn Challenge, an open innovation contest put on by the National Corn Growers Association.
- Syngenta announced Eric Boeck has joined its U.S. Seeds business leadership team as Head of Marketing. Boeck will lead Marketing for the growing business, which is focused on delivering unique, innovative, localized products and services to growers who are demanding choice, leading technology and trusted agronomic advice.
- The IDEAg Group LLC announces Emma Sullivan of Morgan, Minnesota, as the winner of Farmfest’s first National Anthem Singing Contest. The Farmfest contest was announced earlier this summer. Contestants were asked to apply on the Farmfest website (www.Farmfest.com) and attach a YouTube video to be considered.
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s National Agricultural Statistics Service ends all data collection for the 2017 Census of Agriculture on July 31. Anyone who received the Census questionnaire is required by law to respond by that date, and they can complete the form online at www.agcensus.usda.gov or by calling toll-free (888) 424-7828.
- The National FFA Organization selected 16 students from throughout the United States as finalists for its 2018 top achievement awards: American Star Farmer, American Star in Agribusiness, American Star in Agricultural Placement and American Star in Agriscience. Visit FFA.org/stars for more information about the American Star Awards.
- Challenges to changing antibiotic use in food animal production and the associated economics, data and policy issues will be the focus of a workshop Sept. 6-7, 2018, at the National Press Club, 529 14th Street NW, Washington, D.C. The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Economic Research Service is organizing this workshop in collaboration with Farm Foundation. There is no charge to participate in this workshop, however, registration is required by close of business on Aug. 30, 2018.
- The Land O’Lakes, Inc. Board of Directors announced its selection of Beth Ford as President and CEO of one of the nation’s largest food and agricultural cooperatives and #216 on the Fortune 500. Ford assumes leadership of the company following the retirement of Chris Policinski. Ford will assume the role of President and CEO effective Aug. 1.