AgWired Animal, Animal Bites
- The National Pork Board named Norman Bessac as its new Vice President of International Marketing. Bessac is currently director of international sales for Tyson Fresh Meats, a position he has held since 2016.
- National Beef Packing Company, LLC announced that it has approved a transaction that will result in it owning 100% of the ownership interests in Iowa Premium, LLC. The transaction is subject to customary conditions, including the expiration of the waiting period under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act, and is expected to close in the second quarter of 2019.
- A fuller picture is emerging of the environmental footprint of beef in the United States. An Agricultural Research Service-led team has completed a comprehensive life-cycle analysis quantifying the resource use and various environmental emissions of beef cattle production in the United States. The team began its beef life-cycle analysis in 2013 and published the first of two sets of results in the January 2019 issue of the journal Agricultural Systems.
- U.S. Poultry & Egg Association has released a 360° virtual reality video that shows how young turkeys are raised and the care they are given by the farmer who is raising them. The video can be viewed on USPOULTRY’s YouTube channel.
- Legislation proposed by U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin, D-Wis., that would prohibit mislabeling of non-dairy foods has been reintroduced in Congress. The DAIRY PRIDE Act would make it illegal to market products using dairy terms unless those products are derived from milk that comes from a hooved animal.
- Rick Cook has joined Ceva Animal Health assuming leadership for Ceva’s U.S. vaccine production and related operations.